Five boilermaker apprenticeships being offered in St. Lawrence County area by department of labor
There are five boilermaker apprenticeships for which St. Lawrence County residents can apply, according to recent announcements by the Department of Labor.
The Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee for Boilermakers Northeast Area, Local Union #175, will conduct a recruitment from April 2 through March 3, 2020 for five apprentices.Applications can be obtained from Local Union #175 Lodge, 131 West 2nd St., Oswego, NY from 9 a.m. to noon on the first Tuesday of each month, excluding legal holidays, during the recruitment period. If the first Tuesday of the month is a holiday, applications will be available on the first Wednesday of the month from 9 a.m. to noon. All applications must be received no later than March 3, 2020.
The committee requires that applicants:
• Must be at least 18 years old. Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
• Must have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma (such as TASC or GED). Proof will be required after selection and prior to indenture.
• Must verbally attest that they are physically able to perform the work of a boilermaker (construction), which may include:
• Working an 8-hour day continually on their feet.
• Lifting and carrying weights in excess of 95 pounds for extended periods.
• Working in extreme weather conditions and temperatures.
• Working in restricted or confined spaces.
• Working at heights of 20 feet or more on scaffolds or platforms.
• Working in ditches or trenches up to 20 feet deep.
• Working in nuclear facilities.
• Working in hazardous conditions.
• Must have reliable transportation to and from work and related instruction classes.
• Must pass a drug and alcohol test, at the expense of the sponsor, within 48 hours of signing the apprenticeship agreement.
• Must attend related instruction classes.
For further information, applicants should contact their nearest New York State Department of Labor office or Local Union #175 at (315) 343-3821.