What was going on in St. Lawrence County 200 years ago? Here's a town-by-town look, from Canton to Waddington

Posted 7/3/12

What was happening in St. Lawrence County 200 years ago? The War of 1812 had a significant impact on the North Country, as detailed at …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

What was going on in St. Lawrence County 200 years ago? Here's a town-by-town look, from Canton to Waddington


What was happening in St. Lawrence County 200 years ago?

The War of 1812 had a significant impact on the North Country, as detailed at northcountrynow.com/news/war-1812-north-country-200-years-later-061005.

But many other things were going on as well.

Here is a town-by-town look at life in St. Lawrence County between 1812-1814, compiled by Connie Molnar Sterner, who also maintains the website www.northcountryny.com containing many historical photos, documents and articles about St. Lawrence County.


"History of the Village of Canton" by Gates Curtis:

" Dr. (Daniel) Campbell built his house where R. B. Ellsworth now lives, next to the town hall. These two were about all of the dwellings of any pretensions in the place before the War of 1812. Dr. Campbell brought the first stock of goods to the place in 1807, and sold them from a room in his dwelling. During the war he closed out his stock and opened a tavern in the same house, using the room where he kept his store as a bar room. This was prompted by the considerable travel through the place of troops and others going through to Ogdensburg. On one occasion a sloop load of confiscated goods was sent to Dr. Campbell's house, where they were secreted. A force of the British started out in search of the property, but were delayed long enough by a snow storm to permit of the goods being sold at auction. The sale was long known as the Great Vendue (vendre - french - verb 'to sell')."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"In January, 1812, Asa Brayton and family, made the first location in this town on the line of the St. Lawrence turnpike. This road had been commenced in 1810, and was built in this and the two following years, and from this improvement, the first settlement of several of the towns in the county date. The portion through Edwards, was built by Enos Chapin, contractor, Joseph M Bonner, John Britton, Samuel and Elijah Jones and several families by the name of Johnson, settled in 1812-13. In 1814 Orra Shed, from Russell built a grist mill.

The first death in town was that of _____ Partridge, who was killed by an accident at a raising in 1813. The first birth in town was that of John B. Brayton, a son of Asa Brayton in the fall of 1812.


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"Mr. Elijah Sackett, from Hartford, NY came into town in 1808 and was employed as a miller, until his death in the spring of 1812.

( See Anne Cady's web site on Soldier's Graves War 1812 in Pierrepont: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~stlawgen/CEMETERY/1812/1812.htm There is also a marker for Elijah Sackett at Riverside Cemetery in Gouverneur: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~stlawgen/CEMETERY/GRiverside/GRiversideN.HTM)

He was the first white person who is known to have died in town.

The first marriage in the town of Fowler, was Mr. John Parker, to Miss Elizabeth S. Sackett, in 1812.

The earliest settlement in this vicinity was made by John Parker, about three quarters of a mile below that place where the St. Lawrence turnpike originally crossed the Oswegatchie in the year 1812. In 1813 he erected a saw mill at the falls in the present village of Fullerville, which being burned, was rebuilt in 1823-1824."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"The first actual resident in town is said to have been one Wm. McNeill, from Vermont, who had been in town several years previous to 1812. He attempted no clering, lived a hermit's life, subsisted by hunting and fishing, and dwelt in a niche in the rocks at Chippewa Bay. The first clearing was commenced in the summer of 1812 by William Wiley, from Vermont, at the present village of Hammond Corners. In 1813 ___ Barker, from Rossie, settled a mile south of the Corners and opened a tavern. At this time the Ogdensburgh turnpike was laid through town and worked in this and the next year."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"George Davis, James Farr, Philemon Stewart, Ariel Inman and Rufus Hopkins had settled in town previous to 1812....David McCollom, from Rutland Vt but then Canada came in 1812, Roger Story in 1813...."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"In 1813, great numbers died of the epidemic which pervaded the country at that time, and Lisbon is said to have suffered more severely than other towns in the county."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"Early in the summer of 1812, the inhabitants of Louisville, for their own protection, organized a volunteer company of about forty men, who constituted the male population of the town, capable of bearing arms. They elected Benjamin Daniels, on of their number, "high sergeant", whom they agreed to obey, in all matters touching the common interest. Soon after their organization, they received orders from General Brown, at Ogdensburgh, to bring to all crafts passing the river. In pursuance of these instructions, they, on one occasion, hailed and brought in a raft, and found in the cabin a large amount of valuable groceries, &c., the greater part of which was forwarded to the collector of the district. During the summer a regular company of militia was formed with Benjamin Willard, Capt, which drew arms from the arsenal at Russell, and was kept in service from August till November. They were ordered to allow Indians to pass, but to stop all other crafts, and learn their business. At times, they had rumors of hostile visits from the north shore; but they were not executed."


History of St. Lawrence County - Everts:

"Throughout the War of 1812 Madrid, with the other towns of St. Lawrence County, was in continual fear and excitement, for, while it was close to the enemy's frontier, it was during most of the war unprotected by the American armies, which were stationed in the vicinity of Sacket's Harbor and still further westward. The South Madrid Militia was frequently called out, and took part in several skirmishes along the St. Lawrence. It was also employed in guarding public stores kept in the mill at Columbia Village. Its officers were Captain Jesse Goss, Lt. Richard Blood and Ensign Daniel Richards."

The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"Mr. Spafford, in his Gazetteer of 1813, states that Hamilton then contained 135 houses, 2 saw mills, 1 grist mill, a fulling mill, trip hammer, %c.; and the site of an academy then building. The site is still probably there, but no building was ever erected or begun. At that period the want of an academy began to be felt; and this place, Ogdensburg and Potsdam, each wished to secure it...."

"History of Madrid" Gates Curtis:

The inhabitants of this town suffered much anxiety on account of their unprotected frontier. A company called the South Madrid Militia was frequently summoned, and took part in several skirmishes along the St. Lawrence, and also guarded public stores kept in the mill at the village. The officers were: captain., Jesse Goss; lieutenant, Richard Blood; ensign, Daniel Richards. In the summer of 1813 a lot of goods, public and private, were captured on a British ship and stored at the village. In the following winter a squad of British soldiers came out and retook a part of the goods and carried them away.

In the summer of 1814 a lot of cattle which had been purchased in the town by secret agents of the British, were captured by the Americans as they were about to cross at Massena Point. The cattle were scattered among the farmers to be kept until needed. Later in the season a detachment of British soldiers, accompanied by one of the spies, made a raid through one of the river towns, gathering up these government cattle. There is, however, evidence in existence that feelings of friendliness were maintained between the British soldiers and the private citizens of the town, whose property was generally respected.

A Mr. Thomas came into Madrid and settled in the southerly part of the town, in the spring of 1813, with his wife and young son, John. He remained there a few years, then engaged to Mr. Isaac Ogden to go to his island as gardener. While there a daughter was born, the first white child born on the island. She eventually became the wife of Alfred Goss, of Madrid woolen mill fame, who afterwards went West and became a millionaire. The son, John Thomas, was in the Windmill battle in 1838; sent to Van Dieman's Land, and after nine years of menial service was pardoned, and returned to Madrid. He enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixth New York Volunteer Infantry; went through the campaign safely, and was honorably discharged at the close of his enlistment. He applied for a pension after he became too feeble to labor, and received one year's pension in arrears, $72.00, which, he said, was the largest sum of money he ever had at one time. He died May 12, 1892, at the age of eighty years.

The early mills that have been mentioned as established at the village site were destroyed by fire in 1814, when they were owned by Jarah Meach, to whom the property had been sold by the firm of Lord & Price, who purchased of the builder. After the fire the site and water-power were purchased by Timothy Reed, who erected a grist and saw mill under one roof. An old resident a few years ago gave her memory of the village at that time as comprising a tavern kept by a Mr. Bigelow, four or five frame houses and eight or ten log ones. Captain Goss probably had a store at the time.


St. Lawrence Plaindealer Aug 25, 1936:

It was during the War of 1812 that the inhabitants of Massena volunteered to erect a stockade around their little village to keep out Indians and other marauders but after doing a great deal of work dissension arose and the work ceased. It was this same year that the government erected a barracks there and placed in it militia of the county, some 200 or 250 of them.


St. Lawrence Plaindealer 1942:

"Early History of the Beach Family - War of 1812 saw them flee from Canada - Crossed St. Lawrence at Night in treacherous Storm - Sketch by sister of Alvah Beach - Mrs. Alvira Robinson Bell - In the early part of the last century when the flood of emigration was in its height my grandfather took his family and like many of the Vermonters started on the trail west: he left the Paradise road, going further west until he reached the St. Lawrence River which he crossed over into Canada, landing near Brockville.

Here he bought a small lot, felled the trees, built a house and a shop among the stumps. He was a man of good taste and back of the house he started a few fruit trees and surrounded the house with native shrubbery and made many little improvements to beautify his home. My grandfather remained here without much happening of note until the spring of 1812 when the great preparations were being made for war between Canada and the United States.

My grandfather's name was Elihu Beach Jr. and he was born May 26, 1765 in Windsor, Vt. He married Sally Cooper Sept 29th 1788. Sally Cooper Beach died March 11, 1799. He married a second time Hephelbak Smead, April 22, 1800. She was born Sept 1, 1777.

My story opens on a cold but pleasant evening in the early springtime; the blue sky is clear of clouds and as it began to grow dark the stars wich are set like so many diamonds in the heavens look down upon the earth with their brilliant light.

The supper table is set in the little home and the family are preparing to gather around it. Grandmother says to the children, "It's strange your father doesn't come in. Buyinton, you run down to the shop and tell your father that tea is ready." "Yes, Mother, I'll go" She waited some time and at last he came. They seated themselves around the table with their six children who were at home. Grandmother said, "What made you stay so long before you came to supper?" "Hepsy there was a British officer there trying to get me to enlist."

"Well Elihu, I hope you are not going to."

"No indeed! Not on this side of the river. You know I have been talking of going across to the other side and I am going and that pretty soon."

"What is the cause of this war anyway, Elihu? I have had so much to do I have not even read our paper, and am ashamed to be so ignorant."

"Well, Hepsey, you know the Britians are straining all their facilities to impress the Yankee sailors into her service from the American ships to strengthen her already powerful navy. A great many English sailors are deserting their naval vessels to the easier service and the better treatment of the American ships."

"When impressed on a British ship the American sailor is over worked, his rations are not good, and he frequently feels the galling sting of the lash."

"The British soldiers find a greater temptation in the prosperity of American people and the tempting chance for work causes them to dessert, and go to the other side. This probably is the great cause but there are many others. But I shall get out of this as soon as possible."

The tramp of horses was heard out side. All is confusion in no time, "Elihu, get to the attic quicker than scat!"

A knock came at the door. The children sprang from their half finished meal and hustled about to get quickly seated and their mother went tot he door. A man dressed in Citizen's clothes stood at the door. He had tried to disguise himself so his calling would not be recognized but he had peculiar eyes which she often noticed and she knew he was a British officer. "Is your husband in good lady?"

"No sir. He ate his supper hurriedly and went back to the shop."

"I think he is in the house and I will know before I leave." He attempted to step inside. She put up her powerful hand and said, "No, you can't enter here and if you make another attempt I'll fell you to the ground." He knew she meant what she said but as he stepped onto the threshold she gave him one push with her hand and sent him keeling over heels down the little path that led to the river bank. He tried to save himself from going over the top of the steep bank but he gained speed the farther he went and bounding over went splashing into the water. The men who accompanied him hitched their horses and went to his assistance. They threw a rope for him to take hold of so they could pull him ashore. He said some pretty hard words about the powerful woman and said, "I really believe she could go through a whole regiment herself. If we only had a few women like her we would own the whole United States." His men laughed at him for the pretty plight he was in, then jumped on their horses and away they rode.

The children watched until they were out of sight then returned to the table Enos said, "Come down now father, they are all gone. We'll have our supper before they come for us again."

"Well I declare Hepsy we must pick up and be off now. They'll have you in the lock-up fast you know. You have committed a great misdemeanor against one of the King's officers."

"Let them come again with a whole posse of them if they want to. I'll serve them all in the same way."

"Well" grandfather said, "We will go tomorrow night. We'll have to pack what we can in the round top trunk and the box you have up stairs."

Before the next night came grandfather was drafted and locked up because he would not fight against his own country, the United States. For four days and nights he was not given food or water. In some way he got away, coming home when it was dark and said to grandmother, "I think you better send Enos over to Mr. Breeman's and see if he will come over. It will be a bad night to cross the river, the wind is up and it's dark and cold."

"Yes, I know it," grandmother said, "but we will have to do this or make up our minds to stay and take our chances."

"I shant stay. I would rather drown in the old St. Lawrence than take arms against my country."

They made hasty preparations, packing the trunk and box, taking many of the most necessary things, their clothing, a few dishes, some bedding and a few tools from the shop, leaving what they could not take in Mr. Breeman's care, hoping later they would be able to get them.

Mr Breeman came over and said "We must make haste now and get off as soon as possible. There are soldiers camped less than a mile away. There is not a boat nearby but mine and once on the river they won't take after us. Here, take one end of this box and I'll take the other and we will get it to the boat."

When the men went back after the trunk they were all ready and went out of their little home together. They put a padlock on the door and gave the key to Mr. Breeman. Grandmother said, "It looks rather a bad job crossing this river tonight; there's a terrible gale. The darkness has helped us to get here but it won't be good crossing."

They all got comfortably seated in the boat and started from shore. Mr. Breeman said, "Now Hepsey keep the children still and don't stir much yourself for you know with your monstrous weight it would take but little to capsize this craft; it is so loaded it's a big weight on me to row this boat." And as he spoke he plied his full strength to the oars.

Grandmother wanted to know that the children were all right and while reaching her arms around to find out she heard a splash in the water. She made as quick a move as she ever did and reached down and caught Willard by one foot. He strangled and choked but was soon able to set up a lusty howl. The boat tipped and swayed around but was soon righted by the powerful Mr. Breeman.

His father said "Pretty cold bath for you young man." The child was not yet three years old.

They saw a reflection of light on the water and looking back saw the red coats with torches moving around their house and heard a great murmur of voices.

They succeeded in getting across the river, landing three miles above Morristown. Grandmother and the small children were drawn to Morristown in a cutter by men. They lived here until 1814 when they moved to Canton. Grandfather died May 4, 1819."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"The second mills were built by Jonathan Culver at a point then called Hutchen's Falls in 1812, and were at the lowest place on Raquette River ever occupied by mills. It is about three miles below Raymondville. Afterwards burned. The settlement was increased by several families. The first death was that of Mr. Judson, June 29, 1813. A village plat east of the river, was surveyed, and named Racketon, of which Spafford, in his Gazetter of 1813 says," The village of Racketon is a new and flourishing settlement, forming in the southeast part of the town......A clearing of ten acres had been made for (James D.) LeRay in the summer of 1811, in the lower part of what is now the village of Norfolk, on which in 1812 a crop of wheat was raised."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"During the year 1811, the turnpike from Black River settlements was cut through the town; a grist mill was built by Daniel W. Church, for Mr. Parish and a distillery was erected and enclosed by Mr. Hoard, the same season. The latter was the property of the agent, and remained such as long as he resided in town. It has been worked, with a few interruptions, nearly every year since. It was not got in operation till the spring of 1812. During the summer of 1812, a large tavern stand was erected by Mr. Church, for the proprietor of the town, costing $12,000 and during this season the place received large accessions of inhabitants, many of whom fled from Ogdensburg, and other places on the St. Lawrence, from the danger they apprehended from the war. This morbid growth gave business and life to the settlement, which has never since been equaled; and for a time the village and surrounding country increased in population and improvements, as if by magic. A forge was built and run at an early day at this place. In 1813, this prosperity continued and extensive buildings and improvements were undertaken. During this season a building was erected at the expense of Mr. Parish for public purposes, and which has since been usually known as the academy, for which used it was originally designed. It has since been used as a town hall, school house, and place for public and religious meetings. It is a one story wooden building with single room. The first birth in the town of Parishville was in the family of Luke Brown in the spring of 1812. The first school was taught by Miss Harriet Bronson in the summer of 1813, in the barn of Daniel Hoard. A school house was erected very soon after. Religious meetings were occasionally held in 1812-13, and subsequently by traveling preachers...

An affair occurred in this town, in the fall of 1812, which created much excitement at the time. A desperate character by the name of B_____-, living on the edge of Stockholm, had been charged with a crime which carried him to jail in Ogdensburgh, in the month of June of that year. While undergoing his trial, and afterwards, he threatened vengeance against the neighborhood where the crime was committed, and against a Mrs. Miller in particular, who had been the principal witness against him. Shortly after his imprisonment, he succeeded in breaking jail, and was not seen for some time, till early in the morning on Monday, October 23rd , he was seen to cross the bridge over Racquette River, near the line of Pierrepont. ON Wednesday morning, following, Mrs. Miller was left by her husband in the act of rising from bed, while he went some distance from home to get fire at a neighbor's. On his return she was not in the house, and her shoes and parts of her clothing being left he supposed that she was not far distant. Nothing more was seen of her, and her absence dur4ing the day, became a subject of anxiety, which increased till the whole country, far and near was rallied, and a general search began, which continued several days, and at length given up in despair of finding any trace of the absent one. On Friday night several houses and barns in the vicinity, were burned, evidently by an incendiary, and on Saturday morning following, the jail bird was seen to re-crossed the bridge of the Racquette River. Suspicion rested on B____ who was followed up and arrested at Carthage, having in his possession a stolen rifle. Nothing but suspicion resting upon him in retaliation to the abduction and arson, he was tried for theft, and sent to stat prison where he died. On the following spring, a woman's head was found some distance from a headless body, in the woods about three miles above the village of Parishville, which were identified as those of Mrs. Miller, who in all probability had been brutally murdered from a fiendish revenge, by the ruffian who had afterwards set fire to his own house, and another which sheltered his wife and children."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"The first settler in the town of Pierrepont was Flavius J. Curtis, who located near the line of Canton about 1807-7. The town however, did not begin to settle rapidly until the opening of the St. Lawrence turnpike through it in 1811-12. Davis Dunton, Peter R Leonard, Joseph Mathers, Ebenezer Tupper, Clark Hutchins, Zuriel Waterman. Foster Shaw, Henry Axtell, Alanson Woodruff and others settled about 1812."


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"At a special town meeting, convened at the academy, Sept 1, 1813, in pursuance of an act entitled "an act for the establishment of common schools," passed June 19, 1812, the following named persons were elected school commissioners, viz: Benjamin Raymond, Burdon Smith and Howard J. Pierce. Four school inspectors were chosen, Viz: James Johnson, Liberty Knowles, Thomas Swift and Sylvester Bacon. These were the first persons who held that office in town....The St. Lawrence Academy owes its origin to the spirited efforts of Benjamin Raymond, who in 1810 erected, at his own expense, a building for public purposes, and in the spring of 1812, employed Rev. James Johnson, of Lynn Mass, a graduate of Harvard college, as a teacher and clergyman, entirely at his own cost. In December, 1812, a subscription was started to raise $5,000 in shares of $10 each, and Mr. Raymond headed the list by signing 100 shares, including the lot and building he had erected. Liberty Knowles, Azel Lyman, Samuel Pease, Robert McChesney, Benj. Burton, Anthony Y. Elderkin, Joseph P Reynolds, Wm. Smith, James Johnson, Reuel Taylor, Pierce Shepard, Lemuel Pinney, John Burroughs, Sewall Raymond, David Parish and Jacob Redington, each too ten shares. Eighteen others took shares of less number, making the aggregate of 312 shares"


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"Rossie was erected from Russell, Jan 21, 1813......On receiving news of the war, the inhabitants of the southern part of Rossie, erected a block house on the road between Somerville and Wegatchie, about half a mile from the latter place, for mutual protection. Thither the inhabitants were accustomed to repair to spend their nights, on occasion of public alarm, which were very frequent, and as often entirely groundless. The sight of an Indian, however innocent his intentions, was sufficient to originate an alarm which lost nothing by passing from mouth to mouth, and stories are related which reflect little credit upon the courage of certain ones of the settlers. This block house was well built of hewn timber, 24 by 30 feet and stood till about 1840. It was used only in 1812. A similar one was built of round logs, near a small stream a few rods northeast of the present village of Somerville. It was only occupied a few nights.

In the summer of 1812, the mills built by Mr. Streeter were burned in the night time, as it was reported, by the Indians. This is believed to have been done by a man who lived at the edge of Gouverneur near the Kearney bridge and who wanted a pretext for quitting the country. He fled to New York and was not pursued or apprehended.

The iron mines in this town, situated a mile and a quarter east of the village of Somerville, began to be wrought in the fall of 1812..."


"Our County and It's People - History of Russell" Gates Curtis

"Dr. Hough gives the following account of the arsenal:

An act was passed February 24, 1809, which directed the governor to cause to be deposited, if he should deem necessary, an amount not exceeding 500 stand of arms, in such place in St. Lawrence county as he should select, with such quantities of ammunition and military stores as in his opinion would be necessary in case of invasion. The village of Russell, from its being interior and on the St. Lawrence turnpike, was selected, and a building erected. It stands on a commanding elevation, a little north of the village, on a lot given to the State by Mr. Atwater for the purpose of an arsenal, and is a massive stone building, three stories high, 30 by 50 feet on the ground. and originally surrounded by a high stone wall, bristling with iron spikes. The lower story was designed for artillery, the second for small arms, and the third for ammunition. During the war a guard was posted around the premises for its protection, but since that period no further supervision has been maintained than the care of a keeper, who was a citizen residing in the vicinity. In the summer of 1850 the arsenal building was sold at auction, in pursuance of a general law, for the sum of $525. The arms, amounting to four hundred stand, and some twenty thousand cartridges were sold in small lots at the same time.....

The first tavern was built in 1812 by Moses A. Bunnell, and kept by him a number of years. " (Capt. War 1812)

St Lawrence Plaindealer 1883:

"Uncle Benjamin Hutchinson, a veteran soldier of 1812 wishes to tender his thanks to the many friends who presented him with a nicely framed picture representing him as standing on guard, guarding the old arsenal (now used for a school house) where he did duty in 1812. His picture and that of the building are perfect."

St. Lawrence Plaindealer, May 25, 1898:

"...The building faces west and was designed for artillery on the first floor, small arms on the second and the third was the magazine, where ammunition was kept. On the front of the building opening into each floor is a door, and through it by means of a block and tackle the munitions and stores were hoisted in. Originally a high stone wall bristling with spikes, surrounded the building, while a small barrack or guard house stood within the enclosure for the use of the garrison. There were also small wooden sentry boxes at the angles of the wall, depressions showing still where these buildings stood. During these troubled days from 1812 to 1814 a guard of twelve "line troops" under Corporal Henry Dickinson were posted here. Among them were Abram Pratt, Horace Hill, C. Phelps, Benjamin Hutchinson, Jared Hutchinson and Nelson Doolittle.

Although the garrison of the old arsenal was never called upon to defend it against the British, they were called to arms, and the whole settlement aroused by the rolling of Doolittle's drum one night in the summer of 1813, the picket having seen a procession with bayonets glistening in the moonlight winding along the river road and having fired his musket to arouse the town, men, women and children flocked to the arsenal and waited in shivering dread for the outcome, but it was found that the supposed enemy were a party of militia from Wilkinson's army bringing wounded men from Chateaugay after the battle of Crysler's field. Lying on a blanket at the door of the old arsenal, one poor fellow, Edgar Stiles, breathed his last, just at daylight the next morning, and within a few miles of his home.

This is recorded in an old journal kept by Elihu Phelps, as well as the following anecdote, Just before the withdrawal of the garrison at the close of the war, the militiamen who had posted no guards, were almost shaken out of their bunks in the barracks one night by a crash from one of the old 12 pounders kept on their platform on the first floor of the fort. The citizens with visions of a British invasion before them, fled to the forest in terror thinking the fort had been attacked. But it was learned long afterward that a practical joker form the adjoining town of Edwards, named Horatio Earl, had crept into the old fort through one of the cannon embrasures, under cover of night, with pounds of powder sewed up in the leg of a discarded pair of breeches. With a long piece of fuse he had discharged the old gun, having reached the southern border of the village before the crash came. It smashed every window in town beside frightening the garrison half to death.

After the war closed the garrison was withdrawn, the old arsenal being looked after by a corporal of the state militia. The first custodian was Nathan Knox, being succeeded by Elihu Phelps who had charge of the building for fifteen years."

Loton Hosford: b. 1782 Thetford, Vt., d Feb 7, 1813 before being named as a Captain for the War of 1812.


The History of St. Lawrence and Franklin Counties" Franklin Hough:

"In 1812 or 1813, a carding machine was got in operation at this place, and having a natural advantage in the possession of a good water..."


"History of St. Lawrence County" Everts:

"As a matter of fact, little injury was inflicted on the residents of Waddington or Madrid throughout the whole contest. Some small raids were made through the country for the purpose of picking up government property, and occasionally private property was taken at the same time; but these were not frequent, and the commanders on both sides seem to have generally discouraged the making of purposeless excursions into peaceable localities.

A company of militia was stationed at Hamilton (Waddington) for several months, at first under Capt. Bester Pierce, of Potsdam, father of Dr. Pierce, of Madrid, and afterwards Capt. George R. Wells, and at one time a sharp skirmish took place on Ogden Island with a detachment of invading Britons. The accounts are somewhat vague, but as there is no evidence of the enemy's holding possession of the island, it may be presumed they were driven off. In one of these little conflicts on the lines, Mr. Jacob Redington, and old Revolutionary soldier (father of James Redington, Esq.) was wounded."