Waddington chimney fire rekindles; twin brides' wedding dresses lost
Thursday, February 23, 2012 - 9:17 am

WADDINGTON -- What had been "a good save" by Waddington firefighters Sunday turned bad early Monday when a chimney fire that had been put out rekindled, causing more damage to a house on County Rt. 31.

Waddington firefighters got the alarm at 2:45 a.m. Monday, back to 891 County Rt. 31, a house owned by Steven Reiter and occupied by him and four others.

Emergency officials said the family's twin daughters, who are both getting married this summer, lost their wedding dresses in the blaze.

What had been minor damage by the time the first fire was put out Sunday afternoon became extensive damage the next morning, according to investigators. This time, the blaze reportedly went into the roof.

No one was reported hurt.

Also on the scene were Waddington Rescue and fire departments from Madrid and Lisbon. Heuvelton, West Potsdam and Louisville volunteers were on standby.

The Waddington Volunteer Fire Department was back in service at 7:38 p.m.