Saints draw double-OT tie in men's soccer
Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 4:55 pm

The St. Lawrence University men's soccer team played to a 1-1 tie on Sunday afternoon against Ithaca College in a non-conference showdown at Sandy MacAllaster Field.

The Saints (10-2-2), who outshot the Bombers (3-7-4) by an impressive 30-11 margin, held a 1-0 advantage until the 85th minute, when Ben Lloyd pulled Ithaca even at 1-1. 

"We jumped on them in the first half, but sat back in the second," Coach Bob Durocher said.  "We had many opportunities but were just unable to finish."

St. Lawrence scored the opening goal at 5:23 to take the early 1-0 lead.  Junior Brendan Gorman fired a cross through the box that deflected off of an Ithaca defender's backside and past keeper Justin Parlapiano.  The goal was Gorman's 6th of the season.

The Saints continued to pour on the offensive chances, but Parlapiano and his defense did a solid job of protecting the cage.  Gorman had several opportunities to add to the home team's cushion, including two one-on-one tries that he was unable to convert.

Needing a goal late in the second half, Ithaca began to press on the offensive end and their efforts paid off at 84:04 when the Saints had an own-goal of their own to even the score at 1-1.  Ben Lloyd sent a pass into the box that a St. Lawrence defender attempted to head away from keeper Nate Goss-Woliner.  However, his bid to clear the ball went on net instead and crept inside the near post for the equalizer.

St. Lawrence outshot Ithaca by a 10-2 margin in the 20:00 minutes of overtime, but simply was unable to finish on the offensive end to earn the victory.  The Scarlet and Brown owned a 10-6 advantage in corner kicks and were whistled for 18 fouls to Ithaca's six.

Parlapiano made 14 saves to earn his third tie of the season, while Goss-Woliner made four saves for the Saints.

The Scarlet and Brown will return to action at Plattsburgh State on Wednesday, October 20.  The non-conference match-up is scheduled to begin at 4:00pm.