23rd annual Round the Island Canoe Race returns Saturday in Colton
COLTON — The 23rd annual Round the Island Canoe Race will start from the Brookfield boat launch (Big Rock) on Pine Road on Saturday, Aug. 6.
Registration is from 9-9:45 a.m.Start time for the race is at 10 a.m.
The course is approximately 4 miles and there is a 1 mile course for “fledglings.”
Entry fees: $5 fledglings, $8 Higley members and guests, $10 non members.
An award ceremony will be held at about noon, immediately following pedal boat races.
Personal flotation must be worn by all fledglings, and organizers request paddlers wear them as well.
Whistles in all craft required, and will be provided at registration.
Awards to be given to the first three finishers in each class include:
• Veteran Paddler — Charlie Palmer Memorial Trophy for the best finish by a paddler(s) over 60 years of age in their class.
• Youth Award — Phyllis Baker Memorial Award will go to the youth paddler who best exemplifies a true love of the sport, sportsmanship, competitive spirit and paddling ability.
• Chris Murphy Paddler Award - to the woman, any age, best exemplifying Chris’s excellence in paddling and her boundless enthusiasm and love of the sport.
Ribbon prizes will also be awarded.
• Kayaks subdivided by gender, boat length and hull material;
• Fledgling — under 15, 1 mile any boat;
• SUP - any type, any paddler;
• K1 Kayak — any type, any paddler;
• Short C2 — canoe 16’ or under, any paddler;
• Med C2 — canoe 16’1” to 18’, any paddler;
• Mixed C2 - man & woman, any age;
• Women C2 — any rec. canoe, women paddlers;
• Youth C2 — any rec. canoe, both paddlers under 18 years;
• Family C2 — any rec. canoe, child under 16 paddling with related adult(s);
• Unlimited — all other boats.
For more information call Judy Fuhr at 315-262-2362.
At the conclusion of Award ceremony there will be slalom and relay races for canoes and pedal boats—course not to exceed 1/4 mile in length.
There will be a $2 charge for those not previously entered in a race.