Sunny, clear sky in North Country as sub-zero temperatures linger
St. Lawrence County will be compensated by clear sunny skies today, but a hazardous weather outlook and a wind chill warning have been posted by the National Weather Service as the cold that has gripped the North Country for the better part of a week continues.
Dangerously cold wind chills are expected, which can cause frostbite in as little as 10 minutes to exposed skin. Expect wind chills to range from 20 below zero to 40 below zero in the Saint Lawrence Valley and northern Adirondacks until noon Monday, the weather service predicts.The coldest wind chills will occur late tonight into New Years Day morning, forecasters say.
High temperatures today and New Years Day will be around zero and low temperatures tonight will easily be 10 to 20 below in the valley with some 25 below readings in the mountains.
Skies are expected to remain clear tonight, with increasing clouds on New Years Day and Monday night.
On Tuesday and Wednesday high temperatures are expected to be in the mid to upper teens above zero with overnight lows in the single digits.
Little change is expected in the overall pattern for the upcoming week with below normal temperatures, and another surge of arctic air is predicted to move down into the region beginning Thursday night and continuing until at least Saturday bringing more wind chill issues, the NWS warns.
The NWS forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and northwestern Adirondacks:
• Today: Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -2. Wind chill values as low as -29. West wind 5 to 9 mph.
• Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -20. Wind chill values as low as -32. West wind around 6 mph.
• New Year's Day: Increasing clouds and cold, with a high near -1. Wind chill values as low as -33. West wind around 6 mph.
• Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -17. East wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
• Tuesday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers after 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14. Light south wind becoming southwest 6 to 11 mph in the morning. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
• Tuesday Night: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. Southwest wind 8 to 10 mph.
• Wednesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18. Southwest wind around 9 mph.
• Wednesday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 5. South wind 3 to 7 mph.
• Thursday: A 30 percent chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 11. Northwest wind 3 to 8 mph.
• Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of light snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -14. Northwest wind around 10 mph.
• Friday: Mostly cloudy and cold, with a high near -8. West wind around 10 mph.
• Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -25. West wind 7 to 9 mph.
• Saturday: Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -4. West wind around 7 mph.