Those traveling across the border for the long weekend advised by Customs to stay informed, have proper ID
Friday, February 17, 2012 - 2:29 pm

Families, college students on break and other individuals on both sides of the North Country border with Canada can make things quicker and easier when making a crossing by having the right ID and staying informed during the U.S. Presidents Day and Canada Family Day holiday weekend, advises U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

On a typical holiday weekend, the busiest traffic periods seem to fall between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. CBP wants to remind the traveling public that there are a number of steps that can be taken to facilitate their arrival into the United States.

Travelers can obtain local border traffic conditions by visiting the CBP website at

Travelers should have their approved travel documents available for inspection and be prepared to declare all items acquired outside of the United States.

All travelers, including U.S. and Canadian citizens, need to present an approved travel document to enter the U.S. by land and sea. These documents include a valid passport, U.S. Passport Card, Trusted Traveler card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST) or an Enhanced Driver’s License. Children under the age of 16 can present an original or copy of their birth certificate. Visit the WHTI website for additional information (

CBP also reminds U.S. lawful permanent residents that the I-551 form (green card) is acceptable for land and sea travel into the United States.

Frequent cross-border travelers are encouraged to participate in the NEXUS program, which allows pre-screened, low-risk travelers to proceed with little or no delay into the United States and Canada. Application forms are available on the Canada Border Services Agency website at and travelers can apply online at

NEXUS information is available toll-free at 1-866-NEXUS 26 (1-866-639-8726).