St. Regis Mohawk Tribe announces reopening plans that include casino in August
AKWESASNE — On March 16, the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribal Council enacted a State of Emergency for the community of Akwesasne (TCR 2020-17), in response to the global Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Subsequently, the Saint Regis Mohawk Tribe implemented protocols and restrictions to protect community members.Recently, the Tribal Council adopted reopening guidelines for Akwesasne. Over the course of the next several weeks, community members can expect a gradual lifting of these restrictions.
“Over the last several months, Tribal Council’s priority has been focused on responding to COVID-19 and to continue to protect the overall health, safety and welfare of our community. Recovering from a global health pandemic is not a race, and our overabundance of caution is to avoid the painful lesson from reopening too soon. We will continue to take a cautious and gradual approach to lifting protective measures,” stated the Tribal Council.
The following reopening guidelines are effective for the southern portion of Akwesasne:
• Curfew: All individuals must stay home between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m., with the exception of anyone performing essential services. The curfew will continue to be reviewed by EOC and lifted in phases.
• Business hours: All businesses must close one-hour before curfew.
• Alcohol sales:: May take place until closing time of business. Bars not permitted to reopen at this time.
• Social gatherings: Outdoor gathering of up to fifty (50) people or less, maintaining social distancing.
• Travel: Expanded to 100-mile radius of Akwesasne for U.S. travel only. (50-mile radius remains for Canadian travel).
• Visitors: Prolonged visits of several hours or more by guests to Akwesasne is not advisable at this time.
•Gaming: : The Akwesasne Mohawk Casino Resort is scheduled to reopen on August 1, 2020.
Don’t Miss a Story!
Keep up with local government & schools, police & fire news, help wanted ads, upcoming events, obituaries, letters from viewers, news of your friends & neighbors, & much more!
Subscribe today for just $1.44 per week