South Colton's Sunday Rock named to National Registry of landmarks
COLTON – Sunday Rock in South Colton has been awarded a spot on the National Registry of landmarks.It is the only rock in the registry.
A committee headed by Sally Thomas has worked for years to earn the designation.
They have now begun fundraising to purchase a sign to make the project complete.
At 11 feet and 64,000 pounds, the oblong boulder known as “Sunday Rock” has been the stuff of local legend for more than a hundred years.
It has been important to the people in and around South Colton for just as long.
Twice, in 1925 and 1965, local citizens rallied to save it from demolition during highway construction, and it is now safely located in its own small park by Route 56.
Stories of how the landmark got its name vary.
Some accounts suggest it marked the point where the law and order of civilized communities to the north stopped and “there was no Sunday” because lumber camp life and work were the same every day of the week.
Others tell of a preacher, seeking to bring the gospel to the people in that part of the woods, being told not to bother going past the boulder because beyond it there was no Sunday.
Somewhat later, the rock began to stand for the freedom, sport, and leisure of the woods and mountains to the south of it.
The rock has already been named to the state register of historic sites and to TAUNY's Register of Very Special Places.