School evacuated Friday following kitchen fire at Potsdam Central
POTSDAM -- School was delayed a few minutes and staff was evacuated following a small fire Friday at Potsdam Central.
The fire started in the kitchen at the elementary school around 7:30 a.m. when a piece of cardboard reportedly came into contact with a hot stove, triggering safety alarms. "Kitchen staff manually activated the built-in safety feature on the stove, which quickly extinguished the flames," school officials said.Local fire and police departments immediately responded to the school. Students and staff who were in the building at the time were evacuated until officials confirmed the area was safe.
"We would like to thank the Potsdam Police Department and the Potsdam Fire Department for responding quickly and ensuring the building was safe for re-entry. Students were held on buses, or outdoors, for only a few extra minutes while the building was cleared," officials said.