Rifles and shotguns most popular with North Country hunters, according to Sen. Ritchie's survey
Most North Country hunters use a rifle or shotgun, according to a recent survey on hunting and fishing conducted by Sen. Patricia A. Ritchie.
Results of the survey indicated that 81 percent of respondents use a rifle or shotgun when hunting, and 84 percent said they typically hunt deer.Other findings included:
• 61 percent of sportsmen supporting the use of crossbows during the regular archery season
• 2 percent of people express opposition for lowering the junior hunting age below the current 12 year-old minimum
• 66 percent support DEC’s adjustment of this year’s hunting calendar in the Northern Zone to avoid dates late in December
• 58 percent support granting sportsmen permission to use motorized access to state land in the Adirondacks
• 64 percent of participants support DEC relaxing its rules on bait fish, such as minnows, to allow people to catch their own bait
• 80 percent support a law that would require the DEC to offer “gift cards” that could be used to pay sportsmen’s fees
Complete survey results are available online at http://www.scribd.com/doc/104420777/Senator-Patty-Ritchie-2012-Sportsmen...
Ritchie said hunting and fishing are two of the most popular forms of outdoor recreation in New York State and that nearly 700,000 New Yorkers, and more than 50,000 people from out of state take to our forests, streams and fields every season visit the state take advantage of the wide variety of terrain and wildlife.
"Not only are hunting and fishing great pastimes, they are economic drivers too; responsible for generating more than $1.5 billion every year," she said.
"Being a hunter myself, I’m always looking for ways to improve the experience for sportsmen. That’s why I called on outdoorsmen from across Central and Northern New York, to share their thoughts on hunting and fishing in our state through my 2012 Sportsmen’s Survey."
Ritchie said nearly 1,300 people took the survey, offering their opinions on everything from crossbow regulations to gift cards that could be used to pay for sportsmen’s fees."
"I’d like to thank the sportsmen who took the time to participate in my survey. I look forward to using your suggestions make the hunting and fishing opportunities in New York State, not only more successful, but safer too."