Hay rides, Santa, Rudolph Frosty and more to appear Nov. 26 at Canton’s Holiday of Lights
CANTON – Thousands of tiny twinkling white lights will mark the way as Santa Claus rolls down Main Street escorted by a Canton Police cruiser during Canton’s annual Holiday of Lights. This year’s event will be celebrated Friday, Nov. 26, on the village green.
Brad Mintener, event organizer, says the white lights have special meaning in Canton.“We started the tradition of decorating downtown with little white lights, and now about 20 communities in the North Country do it,” he said.
Beginning at 5 p.m., Dr. Mike Smith and his Trout Brook Belgian horses will be offering free hay wagon rides around the village, beginning in front of the First Presbyterian Church on the Park. Canned goods will be accepted to be donated to Canton’s Food Pantry.
There will be carol singing with Diane Foote and the Canton Goldenaires in the park.
Santa will light the Robin Crowell Memorial Christmas tree on the village green at 6 p.m. There will also be a Veteran’s Memorial Tree full of blue lights. Santa will be joined by Rudolph, Frosty, Micky & Minnie, and new friend Spotty. There will be opportunities for photos, so participants are reminded to bring a camera.
After the tree lighting, children are invited to join Santa at the Presbyterian Church, 17 Park St., where he will be sharing candy and books. Cocoa and cookies will also be available.
Merchants will be displaying trees in their windows and lobbies decorated by various community organizations. They include:
• SeaComm Credit Union, 101 E. Main St., St. Mary’s Catholic Pre-K and Nursery School
• Community Bank, NA, Main St., St. Lawrence NYSARC volunteer outreach program
• Canton Post Office, Park St., Beta Sigma Phi Sorority
• McDonald’s, Main St., Canton Head Start
• Clark Insurance, 71 Main St., St. Mary’s Catholic School art classes
• Jreck Subs, Main St., Daisy Girl Scout Troop 165
• NBT Bank, 5 Park Place, Cub Scout Pack 62
• North Country Savings Bank, 127 Main St., St. Mary’s Catholic School kindergarten
• Route 11 Truck and Equipment, 6085 U.S. Hwy. 11, VFW Auxiliary #1231
• St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce, Mighty Pines 4-H Club
For information, call 386-2585.