Fire destroys engine repair business in Hermon
HERMON -- A faulty woodstove chimney has been blamed for a fire that destroyed Northern New York Parts at 461 County Route 13 late Sunday afternoon.Also known as Edie’s Engine Sales and Service Shop, the business inside a building attached to a barn was owned by Eric Edie.
Hermon and Edwards firefighters responded at 4:32 p.m. and were assisted by the Russell, DeKalb Junction, Richville, Gouverneur and Pyrites fire departments that provided mutual aid. The Rensselaer Falls, Harrisville and Oxbow fire departments were on standby.
Fire investigators said the building was a total loss and much of the inventory was destroyed as well. The business employed three people, fire investigators said.
Firefighters remained on the scene for nearly five hours, with the Hermon and Edwards fire departments returning to the station at 9:30 p.m.
For more photos, view slideshow.