Northern Tribs swim team competes at meet in Schenectady
Above, Gretchen Braun of Lisbon, Seth Braun of Lisbon, Julia Domena of Waddington, Coach Joshua Jock of Massena, Paul Braun of Lisbon and Emily Lantry of Brasher Falls.Northern TRIBS swim club travelled with 17 members to Union College to compete in the first meet of the new year, the Chris Goody IMX Challenge this past Saturday and Sunday.
The Schenectady Sharks hosted the meet in memory of Chris Goody, a swimmer who died in 1999.
On Saturday, swimmers were challenged with distance freestyle and individual medley events. On Sunday, they faced specific stroke events considered to be difficult for their age groups, according to TRIBS Coach Joshua Jock.
At the meet, players are scored upon the amount of points accumulated by swimming each event.
Five of those members earned enough points to score in the top six of their age group to receive a medal.
Top finishers included:
• Gretchen Braun of Lisbon earning fifth place overall in the female age 9 and under group. She swam the 200-meter individual medley in 3:06.75, the 100-meter breaststroke in 1;40.87, the 100-meter backstroke in 1:29.95, the 100-meter butterfly in 1:41.78 and the 200-meter freestyle in 2:51.10. She qualified for the Adirondack Championship meet in March for the 100-meter breaststroke and the 100-meter backstroke.
• Seth Braun of Lisbon earned the sixth place finish in the male age 10 and under group. He swam the 100-meter breaststroke in 1:34.06, the 100-meter backstroke in 1:27.27, 200-meter freestyle in 2:25.88 and the 100-meter butterfly in 1:34.66. At the meet, he earned Adirondack Championship cut times in the backstroke, breaststroke and the freestyle.
• Emily Lantry of Brasher Falls earned fifth place in the female 13-year-old group. She competed in 500-meter freestyle in 5:54.06, the 400-meter individual medley in 5:28.84, the 200-meter butterfly in 2:42.56, the 200-meter backstroke in 2:25.83, the 200-meter breaststroke in 3:02.99 and the 200-meter individual medley in 2:31.96. Lantry qualified for the Adirondack Championship meet in the backstroke.
• Julia Domena of Waddington earned sixth place in the female 13-year-old group. Domena swam the 500-meter freestyle in 5:57.17, the 400-meter individual medley in 5:19.05, the 200-meter butterfly in 2:37.91, the 200-meter backstroke in 2:30.65, the 200-meter breaststroke in 2:48.92 and the 200-meter individual medley in 2:24.39.
• Paul Braun of Lisbon finished fifth in the male 13-year-old age group. Braun swam in the 500-meter freestyle in 5:36.36, the 400-meter individual medley in 5:00.70, the 200-meter butterfly in 2:36.00, the 200-meter backstroke in 2:21.05, the 200-meter breaststroke in 2:47.21 and the 200-meter individual medley in 2:22.78.
“Many other club members competed this weekend and were very successful in challenging themselves with these races and making time improvements,” Jock said.