Opinion: Massena man seeks help catching BLM sign thieves
To the Editor:
This evening, after months of vandalism and theft, another Black Lives Matter sign was stolen from my yard. Here's my message for the cowardly vandal(s) and thieve(s):• You stole the wrong yard signs.
• I bought Black Lives Matter yard signs in bulk.
• I'll reorder in bulk as often and for as long as it takes until you stop, even if it means more sardine sandwiches and Ramen for as long as it takes.
• As soon as someone helps me launch the devices, your actions will be on camera, sent to local newspapers, and posted on social media until your regret catches up to your stupidity. (I refer only to regret for getting caught, not regret for your actions, because while education can cure ignorance, there's no cure for stupid.)
• I'm uninterested in whether ignorance or carelessness drives your actions, because in either case, the ugly and tragic results comprise the same cancer on our community, country, and world.
• The Central Park bird watcher is a better person than I am, because I will press charges, and I will attend every court date.
I seek from among the many good people of Massena an antiracist to please help me set up surveillance devices already purchased. (Please respond through / provide your contact information to North Country Now, so they can kindly forward it to me.)
Black lives matter. Every good cop – in fact, every decent human being, irrespective of their occupation – already knows this is true. Neither vandalism nor theft nor any other crime can erase this fact. Happily, that's not how truth and facts work. Truth, facts, data, evidence, science, logic, reason: they're not just for breakfast anymore.
Perhaps someday we will identify, examine, and effectively address the factors motivating the actions of Cult 45, but for now, I seek redress for the actions of its members in my yard.
May everyone stay safe and healthy.
Scott Allen Bennett, LICSW (MA), LCSW (NY), BCD