North Country Arts Festival kicks off Thursday with events throughout SLC
POTSDAM — SLC Arts’ annual North Country Arts Festival kicks off Aug. 24 with events planned until Sept. 2 at locations around St. Lawrence County. The 2023 North Country Arts Festival schedule includes:
• Friday, Aug. 25 — Folklife Celebration at TAUNY in Canton. Schedule includes live music with Camilla Ammirati and Mark Lyon from 10-12, kids table with folk art activities, paper art demonstration with Sandra Nestlerode-Hale at 11 a.m., and St. Lawrence County Historical Association info table and hands-on activities, 4-6 p.m. there will be folk art demonstrations, spinning local alpaca fiber with Dayna Lancaster from Rock Hollow Farm, painting ceramic tiles with TAUNY staff artist Cassie Helman, tool sharpening with Tam Iverson and a kids table with folk art activities. Community dance and live music with High on the Hog and Dan Duggan will be from 6-7:30 p.m.Also on Friday will be a Plein Air Workshop at St. Lawrence Nurseries from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. with Catherine LaPointe Vollmer. Participants will be responsible for bringing their own materials. $30 minimum registration. • Saturday, Aug. 26 — Madrid Music in Madrid and Ives Park Concert Series: Miss Angie's Music in Potsdam
Sunday, Aug. 27 — Arts Wellness Day in in Ives Park. Workshops are $10 each and include 9 a.m. Yoga with Brianne Borden, 11 a.m. Alexander Technique with Beth Robinson, and 1 p.m. Foundational Movements with Mark Lyon.
• Monday, Aug. 28 — Art/Work Speaker Series in Potsdam
• Tuesday, Aug. 29 — Events at Frederic Remington Museum in Ogdensburg; and Poetry Showcase Event in Potsdam
• Wednesday, Aug. 30 — Exhibit Opening at St. Lawrence University’s Brush Gallery in Canton
• Thursday, Aug. 31 — Creatives Rebuild New York Artist Showcase in Potsdam and Canton
• Friday, Sept. 1 — Colton Art Trail in Colton; Regional Arts Celebration in Ogdensburg
• Saturday, Sept. 2 — Potsdam Porchfest and Art Market in Potsdam; Ives Park Concert Series: Hardcore/Punk in Potsdam
• Throughout the Festival — Plein Air Festival at local farms across the county; Paint & Sip events across the county; Community classes and workshops; Partner organization events and exhibits. For more information on each event and to register for the various workshops planned visit https://slc-arts-council.myshopify.com/collections/noco-af . Volunteer at https://tinyurl.com/yckk9rjy .
The Art After Dark: 51st Anniversary Burlesque Fundraiser in Potsdam originally scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 24 has been canceled. Ticket holders are to be refunded within 10 business days after Aug. 21.