Massena library hosting walking program, community fair, more this September
MASSENA – A new Community Organization Fair, a Walk with Ease program, barn quilting workshop, and fall book sale are among the offerings at Massena Public Library in September.
• “Community Organization Fair,” a gathering of local non-profits to share their mission, activities and programs with the community, is being held Sept. 28 from 6-8 p.m. “This will be a great opportunity for organizations to recruit new members, and for Massena community members to become acquainted with our local organizations,” said Library Director Elaine Dunne. If you are interested in learning about volunteer opportunities in the areas of arts, culture, public service and social services, or if you are a member of a community organization and interested in joining the fair, call the library at (315)769-9914 for further information.• “Walk With Ease,” a program to walk your way to good health and help support and motivate you to get moving, will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-10 a.m. at Nicandri Nature Center. Massena Public Library has partnered with The Arthritis Foundation to offer this free program. Participants will receive a free workbook and coaching as the group walks together on a paved walking path at the nature center. Contact the library to register or for further information.
• “Friday Afternoon at the Movies” will show the movie “Respect” Sept. 16 at 1 p.m. “Respect” follows the rise of Aretha Franklin’s career from a young child singing in her father’s church choir to international stardom. The community is invited for an afternoon of music starring the Queen of Soul.
• “Good Libraries need Good Friends,” an informational meeting to learn about joining the Friends of the Library group to support the library, will be held Thursday, Sept. 22, at 2 p.m.
• A “Barn Quilting Workshop” for older learners age 55 and over will be offered with eight sessions Sept. 20-23 and Sept. 26-29 from 1-4 p.m. Ruth McWilliams. will teach the barn quilt painting workshop to create a 2 x 2 foot barn quilt. A $40 fee covers materials. The workshop is limited to ten participants. To enroll contact the library at 769-9914.
• “Recycle/Take Back Bag” is the sewing project being held Sept. 21 from 12:30-3:30 p.m. All materials will be provided. Registration is required as space is limited.
• “Friends of the Library Fall Book Sale” will be Saturday, Sept. 24 from 9:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. The fair will include fall and winter books, DVDs and puzzles.
• “Roll for Initiative,” a Dungeons and Dragons storytelling game that is acted out, is being offered for Teens and Tweens Sept. 14, Sept. 28, Oct. 12 and Oct. 26 from 5-7 p.m. Call 315-769-9914 to register.
• Massena Public Library winter hours start Sept. 10: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m; Wednesday 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m., and Saturday 9:30 a.m.-1 p.m.