Cinema 10 announces slate of movies to screen at Potsdam Roxy this spring
POTSDAM – Cinema 10, the international and independent film series, has announced the movies to be shown during the spring season.
The series aims to bring films to the area which are significant artistically, socially or politically, but which generally are not popular enough in the mass market to reach local theaters.Films are shown at 7:15 p.m. Mondays at the Roxy Theater, 20 Main St. Season tickets are $45 or $35 for students and senior citizens. Individual tickets are $5.50 or $4.50 for students and seniors, available at the door.
The season begins Feb. 11 with the 30th anniversary screening of “My Neighbor Totoro / Tonari no Totoro,” a Japanese animation classic released in 1988.
This timeless Miyazaki classic follows two sisters who discover a forest full of magical creatures after they move to the countryside to be near their sick mother.
“Miyazaki so effectively captures the feeling of a child’s life, inside as well as out, that little ones are often mesmerized by the movie, and adults are returned to a time when they could enjoymystery for its own sake,” writes Sam Adams, The AV Club.
The 86-minute film is rated G but may be scary for young children.
Other films this season will include:
• Feb. 18 – “Roma” (2018, Mexico, d. Alfonso Cuarón) 135 min R
• Feb. 25 – “If Beale Street Could Talk” (2018, USA, d. Barry Jenkins) 119 min R
• March 4 -- “Three Identical Strangers” (2018, UK, d. Tim Wardle) 96 PG-13
• March 25 – “Night Comes On” (2018, USA, d. Jordana Spiro) 86 min NR
• April 1 – “Burning / Beoning” (2018, South Korea, d. Chang-dong Lee) 148 min NR
• April 8 -- At Eternity’s Gate (2018, Switzerland | UK | France | USA, d. Julian Schnabel) 110 min PG-13
• April 15 – “I Am Not A Witch” (2017, UK | France | Germany | Zambia, d. Rungano Nyoni) 93 min NR
• April 22 – “The Sisters Brothers” (2018, France | Spain | Romania | USA | Belgium, d. Jacques Audiard) 121 min R
• April 29 -- “Elephant Path / Njaia Njoku” (2017, USA | Central African Republic | Israel. d. Todd McGrain) 80 min NR. The moview will followed by a question-and-answer session with director Todd McGrain, presented in partnership with the LoKo Arts Festival.