Carp Angling World Championship coming to Waddington Sept. 24-30; awards ceremony at Akwesasne casino
HOGANSBURG -- The “world” is coming to the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino for the prestigious Carp Angling World Championship's awards ceremony on Sept. 30.
Several hundred of the world's most talented carp anglers will cap-off their five-day endurance contest on the St. Lawrence River with a celebration at the casino honoring the winners of the competition.Carp Tournament Series and the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce are hosting the contest Sept. 24-30 on the St. Lawrence River from Ogdensburg to Massena.
It is only the second time that a competitive world-class professional-level carp fishing event such as the CAWC has be held in North America. Competitions of this caliber are rarely held outside Europe, and the last time such an elite tournament came to the United States was 2005.
Anglers representing Canada, the Channel Islands, Greece, the Czech Republic, England, Hungary, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, South Africa, the Ukraine and the United States will participate in the international contest.
"We're delighted to accept the invitation of the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino as our partner and venue for our awards ceremonies, and we're grateful for their hospitality," said tournament director David Moore.
America's "Bass Boss" Ray Scott -- perhaps the most-noted name in competitive fishing --will emcee the awards ceremonies at the casino. The BASS founder has a keen interest in catch-and-release competitive fishing and sees many similarities in both the foundation and philosophies between carp and bass anglers’.
Organizers encourage both fans and the curious to come out to watch the skill of the world-class competitors along the St. Lawrence River. The event headquarters are at the Waddington Arena. Maps, leaderboard standings and schedule of events are located at www.carptournamentseries.com
Opening and closing ceremonies are open to the public.
The Carp Angling World Championship is presented by the Akwesasne Mohawk Casino and hosted by the St. Lawrence County Chamber of Commerce. Other sponsors include Nash Bait and Nash Tackle of England, Ray Scott Outdoors, Big Carp Tackle, Walmart, Enterprise-Rent-A-Car, St. Lawrence Centre, Off the Hook Bed & Breakfast, OfficeMax, Time Warner Cable, EconoLodge, St. Lawrence Experience, Austin Layng, A.J. Missert Inc., 101.5 The Fox, The Online Fisherman, World Fishing Network, the City of Ogdensburg, the Waddington Chamber of Commerce, WNTS TV and Cape Air.
Carp Angling World Championship Schedule
* Monday, Sept. 19 - Thursday, Sept. 22, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m. -- Pre-Registrant Check-in Waddington Arena
* Friday, Sept. 23, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. -- Pre-Registrant Check-in Waddington Arena
* Saturday, Sept. 24, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. -- Pre-Registrant Check-in Waddington Arena; 6 p.m. -- Peg Draw, Waddington Arena
* Sunday, Sept. 25, First Light Peg Assessment on St. Lawrence River; 1 p.m. -- Pre-baiting St. Lawrence River; 3 p.m. -- Competition begins on St. Lawrence River
* Monday, Sept. 26 - Thursday, Sept. 29, -- Continuous fishing on St. Lawrence River
* Friday, Sept. 30, 10 a.m. -- Competition ends on St. Lawrence River; 4 p.m. -- Meet & Greet with Ray Scott, Akwesasne Mohawk Casino; 5 p.m. -- Awards Ceremony, Akwesasne Mohawk Casino