Snowstorm expected to mostly subside before midnight; more snow headed toward St. Lawrence County
Wednesday, February 7, 2018 - 5:27 pm

Although Wednesday’s snowstorm is expected to subside before midnight, St. Lawrence County may be in for more this weekend.

The National Weather Service says most areas of the county remain under winter weather advisory until 11 p.m. Wednesday, with the higher elevations in the Star Lake area under winter storm warning until 1 a.m. Thursday.

Temperatures are forecast to drop to around 6 degrees in most areas of the county.

Thursday brings 20 to 40 percent chances of snow in Canton, Gouverneur and Star Lake, mostly after 3 p.m., with mostly sunny skies elsewhere, NWS said. Thursday night is predicted to be cold, around 8 degrees, with partly cloudy skies in most of the county. The Star Lake area is looking at 60 percent chances of snow showers.

Friday brings up to 50 percent chances of more snow, less than an inch, with temperatures around the low 20s. Snow is likely on Friday night, NWS said, with chances around 60 percent and temperatures around 8 degrees.

Snow showers are likely on both Saturday and Sunday with temperatures in the high 20s, meteorologists said.

The detailed forecast for Potsdam:

Wednesday night - Snow, mainly before 10pm, then a slight chance of snow showers after 1am. Low around 6. Wind chill values as low as -3. North wind 6 to 8 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Thursday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 20. Wind chill values as low as -4. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph.

Thursday night - Mostly cloudy, with a low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -1. Southwest wind around 8 mph.

Friday - A 40 percent chance of snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. West wind around 7 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Friday night - Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Light southeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday - Snow likely before noon, then snow showers likely, mainly between noon and 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. Light northeast wind. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday night - Snow showers likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 22. Light east wind. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Sunday - Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 30. Light and variable wind becoming west around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday night - A 40 percent chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. West wind 6 to 8 mph.

Monday - Mostly sunny, with a high near 28. West wind around 10 mph.

Monday night - Partly cloudy, with a low around 13. South wind around 7 mph.

Tuesday - Partly sunny, with a high near 38. Southwest wind around 8 mph.

Tuesday night - A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Southwest wind around 8 mph.

Wednesday - A chance of rain and snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 34. West wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.