Clear skies today and tonight, turning colder in St. Lawrence Valley
Clear skies will be over the North Country today and tonight, leading to sub-zero temperatures tonight, according to the National Weather Service. .
High pressure builds in through the day providing a return to quiet weather through much of the work week with warming temperatures by Wednesday.Today highs will be in the mid 20s, and lows tonight in the single digits below zero, the National Weather Service says.
Low temperatures for the next couple of days may be around midnight Tuesday night with temperatures gradually warming overnight. The warming continues right through Wednesday as highs will climb into the upper 30s to lower 40s.
Clouds and a chance of showers move in by Thursday, the NWS predicts, as highs climb into the mid-40s.
The NWS forecast for the St. Lawrence Valley and northwestern Adirondacks:
• Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 26. West wind 8 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph.
• Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around -2. Wind chill values as low as -11. Southwest wind around 6 mph.
• Tuesday: Increasing clouds, with a high near 24. Wind chill values as low as -14. Southwest wind 6 to 9 mph.
• Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20. South wind 6 to 13 mph.
• Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 42. Southwest wind 13 to 16 mph.
• Wednesday Night: A 30 percent chance of rain after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 34. Southwest wind 8 to 11 mph. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
• Thursday: A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Southwest wind 9 to 11 mph.
• Thursday Night: Rain likely before 11pm, then rain and snow likely between 11pm and midnight, then snow likely after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 24. West wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
• Friday: Snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. West wind 7 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
• Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 7. West wind 7 to 9 mph.
• Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 25. Southwest wind 7 to 10 mph.
• Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16. Southwest wind around 10 mph.
• Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36. Southwest wind around 10 mph.