Threes rain down on both sides in Hobart's 91-78 win over Clarkson men
Saturday, January 20, 2018 - 9:08 am

Potsdam, NY – Thirty 3-pointers were buried by the Clarkson University Men's Basketball team and Hobart College Friday night, the most in the Liberty League all season, but the Golden Knights came up short in a 91-78 game at Alumni Gymnasium.

The Golden Knights dropped to 6-9 overall and 2-6 in the Liberty League with the loss, while first-place Hobart improved to 12-3 overall and 7-1 in conference games. Clarkson will take on RIT on Saturday, while the Statesmen face St. Lawrence.

Hobart's 17 3-pointers in the game are the most in the Liberty League during the 2017-18 season, surpassing Clarkson's 14 (on two difference occasions). The Knights still made 13 3-pointers of their own as neither team had any difficulty finding their stroke.

Clarkson came out firing in the first half and found itself up 15-9 when Matthew Hornak delivered a 3-pointer from the corner at the 14:10 mark. However, Hobart responded with an impressive offensive display, pouring in 16 straight points, sparked by Colin Dougherty's two 3-pointers and a slashing layup to help the Statesmen take the lead. Clarkson finally broke the streak at the other end on a reverse layup from Barryn Shark with the shot clock running down at 9:04, making it 25-17 in Hobart's favor. Still down by eight a few moments later, Clarkson rolled off seven straight, including a Matt Higgins 3-pointer and two drives from Liam Ellis. However, it wasn't until Higgins buried back-to-back threes with less than three minutes to go that Clarkson regained the lead at 37-36. That was all that the Knights would get for the final 2:40, though, as Hobart quickly picked up the lead at the other end on a Dougherty 3-pointer. Jamal Lucas then took over the final 90 seconds, gaining two steals and converting them as layups on the break and burying a tough jumper from the baseline on Hobart's final possession.

Hobart surpassed its season-average for 3-pointers per game (8.8) in the first half with nine as five different players converted from beyond the arc. Clarkson shot 7-for-15 from the 3-point line, with Matt Higgins doing the majority of the work on a 4-for-6 effort to give him 14 points at the break.

The high-scoring pace continued in the early going of the second half, and the Knights pulled to within three on a Matt Higgins 3-pointer at the 13:04 mark (61-58). The Knights were still within four at the midway point, but Hobart tacked on 10 straight points thanks to two 3-pointers from Tucker Lescoe, moving the margin to 14 points (76-62) with 8:02 to go. Clarkson cut the margin back to seven with a little under four minutes to go when Hornak slashed through the lane for a layup, but that was as close as Clarkson would get, with Hobart closing the game on a 9-3 run.

Liam Ellis came up one assist and one rebound short of a triple-double on 22 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists. Higgins had a game-high 23 points on 8-for-15 shooting, including six 3-pointers, and Hornak tossed in 13 points on 5-for-9 shooting with three 3-pointers.

For Hobart, Tucker Lescoe scored 22 points on 7-for-8 shooting with six 3-pointers, missing his only shot in the final five minutes of the game. Colin Dougherty and Jamal Lucas each scored 19 points on 7-for-12 shooting and Dan Masino reached double figures with 10 points.