Saints men's hockey lose heartbreaker in overtime at RPI
Saturday, January 13, 2018 - 8:51 am

Rensselaer snapped a four game unbeaten streak for the St. Lawrence men's hockey team on Friday night, as the Engineers prevailed 2-1 in overtime at the Houston Field House in Troy, N.Y.

Goaltending was the strength for the Saints against the Engineers, as starter Daniel Mannella and Arthur Brey combined to make 42 saves. Mannella stopped 24 before leaving the game midway through the second period with an injury. Brey made 18 stops in relief.

Michael Ederer was the goal scorer for the Saints, notching his first of the season at the 1:08 mark of the third period to erase a 1-0 deficit and help send the game to overtime. Carson Gicewicz and Ryan Lough picked up the assists on the play.

With the loss, the Saints fall to 4-15-2 overall and 0-8-1 against ECAC Hockey opponents. RPI improves to 4-15-4 and 3-7-2 in conference play.

The Saints' best scoring opportunity of the opening period came with just over eight minutes remaining when senior Joe Sullivan rang the inside of the far post on a shot from the left circle.

Four minutes later, defenseman Dylan Woolf made a diving stop in front of a wide open net after an attempted pass from Mannella deep in the corner hit a stick and deflected out in front of the goal. Woolf's block helped keep the game 0-0 at the time.

But with time winding down in the first period, RPI's Billy Jerry redirected a cross-crease pass from Evan Tironese and beat Mannella high on the glove side for a 1-0 lead at 19:49.

After a scoreless second period, the Saints came out strong in the third and wasted little time netting the equalizer.

Lough picked up the rebound from an Ederer shot in the left corner and dropped the puck for Gicewicz below the red line before he hit Ederer cutting through the circle. The Lancaster, N.Y. native put a shot bar down on Linden Marshall's blocker side for his first of the year to tie the game at 1-1.

In the overtime, Viktor Liljegren redirected a pass from Jacob Hayhurst in the low slot high over the glove for Brey for the game winner to give RPI its first win over the Saints in Houston Field House since 2014-15.

RPI outshot St. Lawrence 44-20 in the contest. The Engineer's Linden Marshall finished with 19 saves.

A bright spot for the Saints Friday night was the long awaited return of junior forward and assistant captain Michael Laidley, who found himself in the lineup for the first time in 449 days after recovering from an injury suffered early in the 2016-17 season.

St. Lawrence will continue league play with a game at Union on Saturday night at 7 p.m.